This recipe creates the most delicious Carbonara that I’ve ever tasted. It’s very filling, and not the healthiest version, but I’ll add a few notes on how to try and make it slightly less fatty.
For two people
- Three eggs (I always go for free-range)
- Whipping cream (if you’re looking for a healthier option, instead of using as much cream, top up with milk and flour mixed together)
- Goats cheese
- Wine (just a splash, rose is lovely)
- 2 large flat mushrooms
- Pancetta (or if yo’re looking for a healthier option, bacon medallions are a winner)
- Wholemeal tagliatelle (around half a bag)
- Black pepper
- First of all, crack only the yolk of the three eggs into a bowl. I always have difficulty doing this as the yolk always seems to slide off down the drain when I do it.
- Pour half of the cream into the bowl and then stir. Add a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Now grate the goats cheese into the bowl- grate enough so that it covers the top of the mixture of the bowl, but use your own judgement of how much you’d prefer.
- Now start to cook the pancetta in a frying pan; it’s best to use a medium setting so that it doesn’t cook too quickly, or too slowly.
- After the pancetta starts to brown, slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Add a splash of wine.
- Boil your kettle to the brim and pour into a saucepan; pop the tagliatelle in and put it on a medium setting on your hob.
- Once the tagliatelle starts to bubble, drain it and leave for two minutes.
- Add your sauce to the frying pan. Stir for a few minutes and then add the drained pasta.
- Cook the mixture for around five minutes.
- Dish up, and enjoy!